Posts Tagged schlappe

Pennsic Prep Goes Into High Gear

29 July 2011

Gregor's Landsknecht Hat

Gregor arrived safely today (hooray!) to finish up last-minute projects and prepare for Pennsic! He tried on his new Landsknecht schlappe hat … I must say, I thought it was an unusual hat and I wasn’t sure how well it was going to work, but he REALLY wears it well! It goes well with his personality — big and a little off kilter! Love it! (Oh, and it seems to fit perfectly — I cut the linen lining on the bias so it would have some extra give, and it seemed to have worked! I love it when stuff works out as planned.)

Gregor was impressed with all the garb I’d made. He tried on the doublet and it fits him well! He offered he’ll try on his garb later so we can take photos!

We also did a test setup of the awesome pavilion that my friend Tracy (Duchess AnneMarie) is lending us for Pennsic. We managed to get it up without too much trouble and it looks awesome — it’s amazingly roomy inside. It’s 8’x’8′ at the eaves and 15’x15′ at the base. We also did some tests on the shade fly I put together. We need to finish that up, but it should work out nicely.

Doing a test setup of the pavilion

After the pavilion setup, we went to Lowe’s to get some 1/4″ hardwood plywood, wood glue, and ratcheting straps so we can make Gregor a shield. We’re going to try bending it around the tree in the front yard. We’ll see how that goes!

Gregor also showed me his full Gothic plate armor. Wow. It looks amazing … and very heavy and hot! He’s going to need a LOT of water to bear all that on the field.

So tomorrow will be shield bending, shade fly work, whatever sewing I can squeeze in, and (if my son has his way) some boffer sword repairs!

 

Gregor’s Red Wool Schlappe “Starfish” Hat — With Feathers Like the Landsknecht!

26 July 2011

Red Landschknecht Hat

Since last night’s experiments making a Landsknecht hat went went, I started working on it again as soon as I got up! I used some lightweight red wool, with red linen for the lining. I made the hat bigger in all ways — bigger brim, bigger slashings (the loops that stick out, bigger cap on top. I thought last night’s seem a bit too modest for a Landsknecht. I machine stitched the loops to the brim, then handstitched everything else. It didn’t take too long, especially once I finally tried using the beeswax I’d received in “AnneMarie’s Favor” Award from Duchess AnneMarie’s Half Century Holiday — what a difference the beeswax made in avoiding snags and tangles in my thread!

"Landsknecht with Helmbart" by Erhard Schon (1491-1542)

Landsknecht were German mercenaries in the 15th and 16th centuries, with a reputation for being very good fighters. Gregor has a particular interest in them, and one day would like to don the entire garb of a Landsknecht! To the right you can see an illustration of a Landsknecht with a similar hat — this illustration is a woodcut by Erhard Schön (1491-1542) from Nuremberg, Germany.

I am very pleased with the results! I cannot wait to see it on Gregor — and he arrives from the faraway lands of Draca Mor in just three days! I can’t wait to see him.

Landsknecht "Starfish" Hat

Top of Landsknecht Hat

Lining of Landsknecht Hat

If anyone is interested in how I made this hat, leave me a message here. I’d put the pattern up now, but I need to get back to sewing … Pennsic is so close and I have so much to do! Just know that you will probably need to wait until after Pennsic for a detailed response.